I was watching The Big Bang Theory the other day and (SPOILER ALERT!) the episode revolved around Bernie and Howard’s big pregnancy news. Howard didn’t quite react as Bernie had hoped. He was, rightly so, freaking out a little (pretty normal for first time dads I think!). After her disappointment with Howard’s reaction Bernie was hanging with her girls, Penny and Amy who were trying to cheer her up but lo and behold all of the fun activities they were suggesting Bernie wasn’t able to do anymore because she was…. Pregnant!
Let’s take a quick look at some of the things it’s recommended to avoid while pregnant… Of course there are all of the general recommendations, including avoiding alcohol consumption, but did you also know it’s recommended not to use a sauna or hot tub during your pregnancy? In addition here are some of the food items to avoid based on the recommendations from the Government of Canada:
- Non-dried deli meats
- Lightly or uncooked eggs and egg products (includes things such as salad dressings, sauces, cake batter or desserts that contain raw eggs)
- Raw or undercooked meat, poultry and seafood
- Raw or unpasteurized dairy products and all soft, semi-soft and blue-veined cheeses
This episode got me thinking back to my pregnancy, I know people who absolutely love being pregnant and revel in all things pregnancy related. I just wasn’t one of those people. I didn’t have a difficult pregnancy by any means, it’s just being pregnant wasn’t my favourite thing. I of course felt beyond honoured that my body had the privilege of creating this tiny little being and afterwards I was so proud of my body for all it had been through the previous 9-10 months BUT being pregnant wasn’t something I reveled in. For me, I think it was just this feeling that my body was no longer my own. Which funnily enough two years on, it’s still not! I’m still breastfeeding, which is a whole different thing, I am actually trying to wean my little girl but she is not co-operating with my plans. Anyway. As I was saying…. for me being pregnant just kind of felt like I wasn’t in control of my body anymore.
Often once, someone finds out they are pregnant they are immediately provided with a list of things to avoid, there is a focus on what you can no longer do while your pregnant. Which for the safety of your little bubba is important of course. But it’s not really until we find out we are pregnant (more so the first time round) that we fully realize this. So what if, before you start trying, with the consideration that you may not fall pregnant immediately of course, that you took the time to experience and by experience I mean really enjoy and savour all of those things that your not able to while pregnant. What would this look like for you?
Below are my recommendations, based on my personal preferences!
- Wine connoisseur or not, if you enjoy wine like I do hit up your local wine store and if your not sure on the ‘good stuff’ ask for a recommendation. Go all out and get yourself something better than you usually drink, something that you will savour and remember for the next however many months!
- Grab your gal pals or fly solo and treat yourself to a spa day! Confession… I’ve never been to a day spa so my perception of this comes from TV shows, but seeing as when you’re pregnant you’re not supposed to go in a hot tub or sauna. Go and get yourself to that damn spa day and spend as long as you want relaxing in that hot tub!
- Experience Italiano with your partner. Here is what I would do, find the best Italian restaurant near you. Indulge in wine pairing with a cheese and charcuterie board. Experience their finest pizza and finish off the night with their fabulous Tiramisu, perhaps with a shot of espresso then linger as long as you please over dinner while sipping on some of their finest liquor. My absolute favourite dessert is Tiramisu (which often is made with raw egg so equals no no) so hubby had to put up with a lot of pouting during my pregnancy whenever we went out for Italian food!
- Enjoy an evening at your favourite sushi restaurant. Order all of those menu items that you might not be able to enjoy for the next little while!
- Two words. Cocktail Hour. The Sex and the City girls just make it seem like so much fun! Just do it.
I mean to me that list is really just things we should treat ourselves to all of the time when you’re not pregnant, but if you are or you know someone who is planning on getting pregnant. Why not spoil them with some of these suggestions. That way when you/they are six months into that pregnancy and are craving some of that brie from the cheese and charcuterie board you can dream about that amazing night you had just before you were pregnant and it might be that little bit easier to hold off those cravings!
What about you? What is on your must do before getting pregnant list?